Thursday, January 23, 2014

Good News Day!

Do you ever have those days were you just want to jump for JOY???

Well that is how I am feeling right now after receiving great news from Emmett's GI Doctor, Dr McOmber.
For the past eight months, every 2-3 weeks, Emmett has been going into Phoenix Children's Hospital for a outpatient procedure called an Esophageal Dilatation . The reason for the dilatation's is because the area were the "new" esophagus and the old esophagus were sutured together created a stricture making it difficult for Mr Emmett to swallow.
Two weeks ago, during the routine esophagus dilation, Dr McOmber spotted an area of "concern" a possible  fistula. Which is a nightmare... A few days later another procedure was performed to determine if that "area" was leaking to Emmett's chest. The test ruled out NO such passage way. Phew!
For the good news!:
Today Emmett's esophagus was dilated to the desired diameter and did not shrink back to a smaller measurement. Also, the "area of concern" from two weeks before was no longer there! Thank you Father in Heaven! So Emmett's dilation's will now be spread out to once a month instead of every other week!!!. As long as the esophagus doesn't shrink back to a smaller diameter, then the dilation's will continue to spread out over time even more. Hooray for MIRACLES! 
(site of the stricture in the esophagus)

I am so thankful for all the many blessing and miracles we have received!
Go Emmett, Go!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Tell your story: Sophie's Story

I received an email from a mother whose daughter suffered a serious injury from a button battery. However, the injury occurred not by ingesting the button battery. We are so grateful for the many parent's who trying to make a difference by sharing their difficult journey in trying to save other children's lives.

Sophie's Story:
 Graciously shared by her mother Shea

"Sophie put a button battery in her nose in January on a Sunday afternoon.  I took her to Urgent Care that same day.  The doctor tried to remove it (as we all held her down).  He said he heard a clink but refused to do anything else.  She had to see an Ears, Nose and Throat Doctor (ENT).  That night was one of the worst nights of my life.  We did not know what she put in her nose, so when she would scream uncontrollably we would just do our best to console her.  Needless to say, she was being shocked and we didn't know it.  When the ENT saw her the following afternoon we held her down AGAIN�and he looked with his microscope.  All he saw was bodily fluids surrounding the item�he didn't see the battery.  She was scheduled for surgery the next morning.  So, that night was worse than the night before�she was exhausted and feverish.  She was just moaning non-stop.  I just held her and rocked her.

When the ENT came out of surgery he was stunned.  He had no idea that it was a battery.  Not only was she being shocked, the battery was cracked and was leaking battery acid.  She had 3rd degree burns.  She was in danger of separating her septum as the burns were severe.

We had nightly treatments that haunt me to this day.  I had to hold Sophie and flush her nostril three times and follow with a think anti-biotic cream.  She would scream!  She was on antibiotics for 4 months.  She had to have surgery every two-three weeks.  It got to the point that the nurses and anesthesiologist all her knew her by name.  Her hospital stays lasted about 4 months total.

We are still recovering physically and emotionally.  Every time she has a stuffy nose she screams.  It is difficult  to tell whether or not the congestion is uncomfortable or if there is a real problem.  I am not sure if she will have to have any additional surgeries.  Time will tell.  The ENT believes that we may have saved her septum.  There was a time that we almost  had to go to Children's Hospital in Birmingham to have reconstructive surgery planned.   The ENT gave it one more week with extra flushing and ointment.  It seemed to slow down the scarring.

I wish the battery makers would consider making a battery that was not as toxic and the button battery."

Thank you Shea for sharing Sophie's story. We pray for her continued recovery! Go Sophie, Go!