Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Being Ethan's Mom


I want to start off by saying.... I maybe a little excited that it is supposed to SNOW here this weekend! I am an Arizona girl, so a white Christmas makes me a little giddy! I am excited for my boys to see the snow too. Having said that, Mr Weather-man I really hope you are correct with your forecasting:)

I am so happy to have our oldest son Ethan here in Cincinnati with us now. He flew into town last night with my husbands parents. Michael went to the airport to pick them up. On their way back Michael and I changed shifts at the hospital. I hopped into the car, and swung myself over to give my sweet bright eyed Ethan-bug a kiss on this adorable cheeks. He squealed with excitement. He was so excited to tell me about the airplane ride and how weird if felt when the airplane took off and landed.
We snuggled in bed, until he told me, "mom you really need to sleep now, just hold my hand okay". I am so glad he is watching out for my best interest. lol.

I sure love this boy. He has been through so much these past years. I have major mommy guilt feelings of neglecting him for all the times I had to be at the hospital with Emmett. Ethan has always been in the best care while I am away... Grandparent's, Aunts and Friends houses. I hope and pray that he understands why I have to leave and be gone so often and long. He has his moment's with me, but when he takes the time to snuggle and tell me "I love you to the universe(he is a Star Wars fanatic) and back" I melt.

Ethan has never taken out any anger or resentment towards Emmett, which I am so thankful for. He LOVES Emmett and is so protective of him. Last month I had to place Emmett into time out for throwing a toy car that targeted Ethan's forehead. Ethan was in tears and I sat Emmett on a chair facing the corner. Tears then started rolling down Emmett's little cheeks. Seeing his brother's sadness, Ethan came up to me and said, "mom I am okay. You don't need to put Emmett in time out, it didn't hurt that bad, its okay, I'm okay". He never likes to see him upset.

I am thankful for Ethan's courage! He can have his feisty moments, but he sure has a big heart for his brother and for those around him.

He also can say the most hilarious comments. Today Michael, Ethan and I ran to target to pick up a little Christmas tree for our room here at the Ronald McDonald House. Michael had bought a package of beef jerky. Once we got back situated in the car, Ethan asked for a piece of beef jerky. A moment later, as we were waiting at a intersection, we hear Ethan state, "Wow! this is a really yummy cow". Michael and I just started chuckle. I will never look at beef jerky the same.

Ethan maybe the only few 5 year old's who know the anatomy of the body. A year ago, I was taking Ethan over to a friends house to play. I called for him several times to hurry and find his shoes. After the fifth time calling, Ethan walked into the room with a frustrated and deeply concerned voice, "but mom, I can't find my esophagus!" The look on his face was so honest and sincere I tried so had to hold back my smile as I tried to explain that his esophagus was in it's rightful place.:)

I know Heavenly Father blessed Ethan with great knowledge and a terrific sense of humor. He has the most infectious laugh, every time I hear it, I can't help but smile. I am so grateful and honored to be the mother of these two beautiful boys! I sure love them with all my heart!





6 comments:

  1. Yep me too! When Ethan and I went on the night Christmas Train together, I just loved the way he giggled and bounced around in excitement throughout the whole 20-30 min ride. Oh were we happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. Made me cry! Keep up your spirits and have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family has amazing love for each other. That is a blessing. Karla thank you for allowing us to walk this path with you. Your family feels like a part of ours, we cry with you and rejoice with you. Kiss those babies for us. Hug each other a lot. Sending love, strength and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Karla, you are the best mom!! Your boys are so lucky to have you! We love you and are praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Ethan and Emmett will love to see the snow..I would love to see their reaction when it's starts to snow....God Bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lot of snow here in NE.....

    ReplyDelete